(1) Rinse asparagus and trim off tough ends;
(2) Halve the thick portion lengthwise, but don't break the delicate part;
(3) In a skillet, add 1 cup chicken stock and 1 tsp salt, bring to boil;
(4) Place in asparagus, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, and transfer asparagus to a plate;
(5) Add in sliced mushroom (brown or white) and soy sauce (optional) to the stock, bring to boil;
(6) Cook for 5 minutes and then transfer mushroom on asparagus;
(7) Whisk into 1 tbsp tapioca starch, condense the sauce;
(8) Pour sauce on mushroom and asparagus, serve immediately.