Yesterday afternoon, at about 3 o'clock, my friend called me and invited us to attend the barbeque party at six. My god, three hours left, what could I prepare for the party?
I quickly reviewed all my recipes: cake? no! salad? no! bread? no! marinade pork rib? no... okay, this one seems pretty good -- braised rutabaga with tangerine, I bet most people are not familiar with this vegetable and obviously, we need a side dish for meat.
My bubby rushed to the supermarket and carried back a big rutabaga and two tangerines. Let me do it!
(1) Rinse rutabaga, peel and dice into small cubes.
(2) In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter under high power.
(3) Add some spices to develop aroma.
(4) Stir in rutabaga cubes, blend them with butter.
(5) Add 1/4 cup stock or water, cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
(6) Remove cover, sprinkle salt and black pepper for taste.
(7) Cover and cook until cubes are cooked through (use a sharp knife to pink).
(8) Remove cover, sprinkle parsley flakes and stir until sauce is condensed.
(9) Transfer cubes to a plate.
(10) Peel tangerines, decorate cubes with thinly sliced tangerine and squash juice over cubes.
A simple recipe, but a very big surprise!