Chinese flaky pastry can be used to make Su-style moon cake and other snacks with different filling, such as ground pork, red bean paste...etc. It is different from flaky pastry in western countries, using vegetable oil instead of lard or butter and the ingredients are very simple.
I prepared this snack for the party tomorrow, I hope friends will like the taste.
(1) Mix 2.5 cup all purpose flour, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 tsp salt, knead until the dough is smooth. Transfer it into a sandwich ziploc and let sit in the fridge overnight. This dough is called water-skin.
(2) Mix 1 cup all purpose flour and 1/3 cup vegetable oil, make a neat ball and put it into a sandwich ziploc. Let sit in the fridge overnight. This dough is called oil-skin.
(3) Transfer water-skin on the counter, roll the dough into a circle. Place oil-skin in the center and wrap well.
(4) Roll this mixed dough into a rectangle, then fold it into third.
(5) Roll into another rectangle.
(6) Starting at the long end, roll up and then cut into small portions.
(7) Roll each portion into circle, put a small cube of pitted dates, fold and then shape it well with fork.
(8) Brush the mixture of honey and water, sprinkle with white sesame seeds.
(9) Preheat oven to 350 F, bake for 30 minutes or until the skin is golden.
(10) Let fully cool on the wire rack.
Take another look, the skin is very flaky, eh?