(1) Rinse and slice celery.
(2) Prepare a large container of ice water (the mixture of water and ice cubes).
(3) In a pot, add half pot of water and 1 tbsp vegetable oil, bring to boil.
(4) Put a portion of sliced celery into the boiling water.
(5) When celery slices float on water, drain and transfer them into ice water.
(6) Repeat step 4 and 5 until all celery slices are done.
(7) Squeeze and dry celery, then place on a plate.
(8) In a dry pot or skillet, heat under medium power and add some oil.
(9) When pot is hot, add several tbsp chilli paste, stir until aroma develops.
(10) Pour hot paste onto the celery, blend well before served.
(1) Rinse duck breast and dry with paper towel, skin can be either removed or kept.
(2) In a hot skillet heated under medium power, add 6 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp Sichuan pepper, stir until salt turns to slightly yellow in color.
(3) Massage duck breast with hot salt&pepper, let sit in the fridge overnight.
(4) Rinse to remove excess salt and pepper, dry with paper towel.
(5) Put breast into a pot; add water (just over breast), some white part of green onion, pieces of ginger, and wine (rice wine or sherry).
(6) Bring to boil and then remove the foam.
(7) Cover the pot, let simmer under low power for 30 minutes; then turn off power, let stand for another 30 minutes.
(8) Transfer breast onto the rack, let cool and then slice before served.
Rice with pork and carrot
This rice tastes like fried rice, very yummy.
* It is quite different to cook different types of rice. Some rice should be soaked very well before cooked, some rice needs to be cooked with cold water, however, some should be added to boiling water. Check the direction on the package first.
(1) 3 cup rice, rinsed and drained.
(2) 1 slice of pork belly, shredded and marinated with dark soy sauce + 1/2 tsp salt + a pinch white pepper.
(3) 1 carrot, diced.
(4) In a hot pot heated under high power, add some oil and pork. Stir until pork is cooked through and strong aroma can be smelled (the white part of pork shrinks and meat color changes to dark brown).
(5) Drain pork and transfer to the container with drained rice.
(6) Return pot on the hot stove, add carrot and stir until carrot fully absorbs oil.
(7) Transfer carrot to the container with drained rice and pork, blend well.
(8) In a 4 qt. pot, either mix rice/pork/carrot with 4 cup water or just add 4 cup water, bring to boil. If rice has already been in the water, stir rice with wooden spoon and then cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 20 minutes. Otherwise, pour rice mixture into boiling water, stir well and cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 20 minutes.
(9) Turn off power, let sit on the stove for another 5 minutes.